Friday, March 4, 2011

Torres needs time to settle

Striker Fernando Torres says it was always going to take him time to settle at Chelsea.

Torres drew a blank this week's dramatic Barclays Premier League win over Manchester United and has now gone four matches without scoring since his record-breaking £50m move from Liverpool.
After missing chances in his previous two matches against Fulham and FC Copenhagen, the striker did not see much of the ball in front of goal against United.

He did find the net with a stunning left-foot half-volley, but only after a free-kick had already been given against Chelsea.

Some Time
Despite his travails, the 26-year-old appears unflustered by his current drought and confident the goals will flow once he adjusts to the Blues' style of play.
"It's important to understand the style of football your team is playing, how you are involved in the system and everything," Torres said.
"This always takes some time. But, I think, once you get it, everything becomes much easier. The important thing is to have different options in the way you play."
Torres was given free reign as a lone striker at Anfield but has yet to be indulged on that front by Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti, who has played him with a partner or in a three-man attack.
Torres said: "If you want to be a top player, you have to be able to play in all these situations and I'm sure here at Chelsea I will play in different positions sometimes.
"I'm ready for this because I want to play where the manager asks me to - I know the competition is high here."

No comments:

Post a Comment